Introduction to Spatial Data and Using R as a GIS (bookings closed)
NCRM, University of Southampton
Dr Nick Bearman
Entry (no or almost no prior knowledge)
Training and Capacity Building Co-ordinator
National Centre for Research Methods
View in Google Maps (SO17 1BJ)
University of Southampton, Building 39, Highfield, Southampton, Hants
In this one day course we will explore how to use R to import, manage and process spatial data. We will also cover the process of making choropleth maps, as well as some basic spatial analysis. Finally, we will cover the use of loops to make multiple maps quickly and easily, one of the major benefits of using a scripting language to make maps, rather than traditional graphic point-and-click interface.
The course covers:
- Using R to import, manage and process spatial data
- Design and creation of choropleth maps
- Basic spatial analysis
- Working with loops in R to create multiple maps
By the end of the course participants will:
- Use R to read in CSV data & spatial data
- Know how to plot spatial data using R
- Join spatial data to attribute data
- Customize colour and classification methods
- Understand how to use loops to make multiple maps
- Know how to reproject spatial data
- Be able to perform point in polygon operations
- Know how to write shapefiles
This course is ideal for anyone who wishes to use spatial data in their role. This includes government & other public sector researchers who have data with some spatial information (e.g. address, postcode, etc.) which they wish to show on a map. This course is also suitable for those who wish to have an overview of what spatial data can be used for. Although no previous experience of spatial data is required it would be beneficial (eg Google Maps).
The fee per teaching day is:
• £30 per day for UK/EU registered students
• £60 per day for staff at UK/EU academic institutions, UK/EU Research Councils researchers, UK/EU public sector staff and staff at UK/EU registered charity organisations and recognised UK/EU research institutions.
• £220 per day for all other participants
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.
A full refund is available 2 weeks prior to the course taking place, NO refunds are available after this date.
Spatial Data Analysis, Area-based analysis, Geographical Information System (GIS), R, R Studio , Loops
Related publications and presentations: