Introduction to Programming (join a waiting list)
17/10/2018 - 18/10/2018
NCRM, University of Southampton
Dr Peter Smyth
Entry (no or almost no prior knowledge)
Jacqui Thorp, Training and Capacity Building Co-ordinator, National Centre for Research Methods
View in Google Maps (SO17 1BJ)
Bloomberg Suite, Building 58, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, Hants
In this course, we introduce the concept of a computer program. We start by considering what a computer program is and comparing it with how we think about accomplishing everyday tasks. We look at how far we can get with defining a computer program in words and pictures before we ever start writing code.
By relating the simple constructs we have used to describe tasks to specific programming constructs using the Python programming language we will build up a set of individual programming tasks which put together will constitute a complete program.
The constructs can of course be re-used to create any number of different programs to solve a variety of problems.
The course covers:
- Specifying the problem to be solved
- Creating flowcharts and pseudo-code
- Testing and debugging
- Different coding environments
- Basic Python coding constructs
- Creating a complete program
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand that programming is not just about writing code
- Appreciate the need for planning before coding
- Have a basic knowledge of Python programming structures and knowledge of some of the more popular Python packages
- Be able to design, document, write and test/debug small programs of their own
The course will use the Python programming language, however no previous knowledge is expected.
The fee per teaching day is:
• £30 per day for UK/EU registered students
• £60 per day for staff at UK/EU academic institutions, UK/EU Research Councils researchers, UK/EU public sector staff and staff at UK/EU registered charity organisations and recognised UK/EU research institutions.
• £220 per day for all other participants
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.
Full refund for cancellation two weeks before the course, NO refunds can be made after this date.
Website and registration:
Python, Programming , Testing , Debugging , Pseudo-code , Flowcharts
Related publications and presentations: