Using Creative Research Methods (bookings closed)
NCRM, University of Southampton
Dr Helen Kara
McClay Library, Queen's University Belfast,10 College Park Ave, Belfast
View in Google Maps (BT7 1LP)
Training and Capacity Building Co-ordinator
This course will outline creative research methods and show you how to use them appropriately at every stage of the research process. The course assumes that you have a good working knowledge of conventional research methods, and builds on that knowledge by introducing arts-based methods, research using technology, mixed methods, and transformative research frameworks such as participatory and activist research. Any or all of these techniques can be used alongside more conventional research methods and are often particularly useful when addressing more complex research questions. In the afternoon you will have the opportunity to try applying these methods in practice. Attention will be paid to ethical issues throughout. The day will include plenty of practical advice and tips on using creative methods in research.
The course covers:
- Arts-based methods
- Research using technology
- Mixed methods
- Transformative research frameworks
By the end of the course participants will:
- Have a good level of knowledge of creative research methods
- Understand how to use creative methods alongside more traditional methods
- Understand when to use creative methods in research
- Know how creative methods can add value to funding bids
This course will be relevant for researchers from the third sector, public services (e.g. health, criminal justice, social care, education, local or national government), and those who work in independent research organisations or academia. It is an intermediate level course and attendees will need a good working knowledge of traditional research methods.
Intermediate (some prior knowledge)
The fee per teaching day is:
• £30 per day for UK/EU registered students
• £60 per day for staff at UK/EU academic institutions, UK/EU Research Councils researchers, UK/EU public sector staff and staff at UK/EU registered charity organisations and recognised UK/EU research institutions.
• £220 per day for all other participants
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs. Please note refunds will only be given if cancelled at least 14 days before the course.
Mixed Methods, Arts-based research , Research using technology , Transformative research framework
Related publications and presentations: