2nd NCRM/Exeter Computational Communication Methods Spring School
17/04/2023 - 28/04/2023
University of Exeter Q-Step Centre
Professor Susan Banducci and others
Intermediate (some prior knowledge)
University of Exeter
View in Google Maps (EX4 4QJ)
University of Exeter
The 2nd NCRM/Exeter Computational Communication Methods Spring School The NCRM/Exeter will provide training at introductory and advanced levels, catering for both social scientists and data scientists.
The school will take place at the University of Exeter over two sessions between 18-28 April 2023 (with an additional Intro to Python day on 17th April) and is co-sponsored by:-
- IDSAI Computational Social Science
- Social Data Science Group, Turing Institute
- Exeter Q-Step
The programme will cover multiple computational approaches, such as machine learning and network analysis, and their application to communication research looking at text, images and social media data.
World-leading experts will deliver workshops, seminars and demonstrations, help desks will offer one-to-one consultations and there will be opportunities for more informal networking.
This Spring School is open to University of Exeter students & staff, and non-University delegates alike. We welcome applications from Masters students, PhDs, post-doctoral researchers, early career researchers, and also more senior researchers and lecturers.
Please note the programme will take place in person only on the University of Exeter's Streatham Campus.
Week 1: Text Analysis & Machine Learning with AI (4-day introductory programme : 18th - 21st April)
Week 2: Advanced Sessions (24th - 28th April)
- Monday - Social Network Analysis
- Tuesday - Image as Data
- Wednesday - Social Media Advanced Text Analysis
- Thursday: Research Ethics Issues with Online Data (1/2 day AM)
- Thursday: Social Sensing Analysis using Twitter Date (1/2 day PM)
- Friday: Collaborative annotation projects for supervised machine learning with AmCAT
Participants can chose to join either / both weeks in full, or in week 2 you are welcome to simply join for individual days.
Sessions will be suitable for PhD and postdoctoral researchers, as well as early-career and senior academics. In addition to training, there will be opportunities for participants to develop new interdisciplinary research collaborations.
Bursaries will be available to cover some or all of the course fees, and will be available in the following ways:
- University of Exeter students and staff: will be automatically considered for a bursary from the University of Exeter
- Non-University of Exeter participants can apply for a bursary from NCRM. To check eligibility and make a NCRM bursary application please click the link on this page
For more information about how to apply please follow the registration link below.
Programme Fees: Per week - University of Exeter Students & Staff £100 / External Participants £200, Per Day - Exeter Students & Staff £40 / External Participants £80. Please note that the first week must be attended in full.
Website and registration:
Social media data, Visual Data Analysis, Textual Analysis, Machine learning, Social Network Analysis
Related publications and presentations:
Social media data
Visual Data Analysis
Social Network Analysis