Introduction to NVivo for qualitative and mixed-methods analysis
07/02/2023 - 08/02/2023
University of Surrey
Dr Sarah Bulloch
Entry (no or almost no prior knowledge)
Administrative Officer (Short Courses)
NVivo is a powerful software for the qualitative and mixed-methods analysis of text, audio, video, survey and social media data.
This two-day course provides a comprehensive overview of NVivo and an opportunity for participants to practice tasks using their own data. The focus is on gaining confidence in setting up a project efficiently, managing and organising data, exploring and conceptualising data and interrogating and visualising data.
The course combines discussion, demonstration and hands-on work, including:
- Contextual discussions – developmental, methodological and analytical principles
- Software overview –interface, architecture, tools
- Analytic planning – ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
- Guided instruction – step-by-step teaching in the operation of NVivo and the use of tools for analytic tasks
- Individual support – some time for participants to discuss their projects with the Tutor.
During the first day sample data are used to become familiar with tools, and the whole group follows common tasks together and practices exercises individually. Work is structured to provide step-by-step support.
During the second day participants set up their own NVivo project and work with their own research materials. The first part of the day focuses on translating the tasks covered in day one into practice. Individuals and teams work independently, with support from the tutor. The remainder of the day focuses on experimenting with more sophisticated uses of tools. Possibilities and implications are discussed, demonstrated and practiced.
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the structure of NVivo and how it can be used throughout a research project
- Navigate around the software and operate it to undertake analysis
- Understand the importance of analytic planning in harnessing NVivo tools powerfully
- Set-up an NVivo project to reflect initial research design and change structures as a research project progresses
- Identify NVivo tools that can be used to fulfil specific analytic tasks
- Know where to access relevant resources to support continued NVivo use.
£255 / £310 / £435
Website and registration:
Mixed Methods Data Handling and Data Analysis
Related publications and presentations: