- Published on: 2016-05-20
- Event hosted by: NCRM
- Keywords: training and capacity building | research methods | video methods | advanced interview methods |
- To cite this resource:
Nind, M. (2017) Introduction to video stimulated recall, reflection and dialogue. National Centre for Research Methods online learning resource. Available at https://www.ncrm.ac.uk/resources/online/video_stimulated_research_methods/ [ accessed: November 21, 2017]'
Here are the slides in Microsoft Powerpoint format. You may want to explore the slides or download the entire presentation by clicking the link below
These video resources were recorded on 2016-05-20 by the National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) at the University of Southampton.
Powerpoint presentations (PDF)
Video Transcripts (PDF)
Related datasets and other links
- Calderhead, J. (1981) Stimulated recall: A method for research on teaching. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 51, 211-17. DOI: 10.1111/j.2044-8279.1981.tb02474.x
- Dempsey, N. P. (2010). Stimulated recall interviews in Ethnography. Qualitative Sociology, 33, 349-67. DOI: 10.1007/s11133-010-9157-x
- Lyle, J. (2003) Stimulated recall: a report on its use in naturalistic research. British Educational Research Journal, 29(6), 861-878. DOI:10.1080/0141192032000137349
- Moyles, J., Adams, S., and Musgrove, A. (2002) Using Reflective Dialogues as a tool for Engaging with Challenges of Defining Effective Pedagogy, Early Child Development and Care, 172(5), 463-78. doi: 10.1080/03004430214551
- Nind, M., Kilburn, D. and Wiles, R. (2015) Using Video and Dialogue to Generate Pedagogic Knowledge: Teachers, Learners and Researchers Reflecting together On the Pedagogy of Social Research Methods, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 18(5), 455-61.doi:10.1080/13645579.2015.1062628
- Powell, E. (2005) Conceptualising and Facilitating Active Learning: Teachers' Video-Stimulated Reflective Dialogues, Reflective Practice, 6(3), 407-18. doi:10.1080/14623940500220202
- Kilburn, D. (2014) Methods for recording video in the classroom: producing single and multi-camera videos for research into teaching and learning. NCRM Working Paper. NCRM. http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/3599.
- Vesterinen, O., Toom, A.,
Related research areas (available items)
All relevant references can be listed here along with browsable links to other existing resources in NCRM
Allison, P. D. ( 2005). Fixed Effects Regression Methods for Longitudinal Data Using SAS. Cary, NC.:SAS Institute Inc.
Bollen, K. (1989). Structural Equations with Latent Variables. New York: Wiley.
Bailey, C. (2001) Geographers doing household research: Intrusive research and moral accountability, Area, 33, 1, 107-109.
Bakardjieva, M. and Feenberg, A. (2001) Involving the virtual subject, Ethics and Information Technology, 2, 4, 233-240.
Barnes, S. B. (2004) Issues of attribution and identification in online social research, in Johns, M. D., Chen, S. S. and Hall, G. J. (Eds.) (2004) Online Social Research: Methods, Issues, and Ethics. New York. Peter Lang. pp. 203-222.
Recommended readings etc. (which uathor may deem appropriate (could be event, NCRM resource, book chapter etc.
Bulloch, SarahUsing Structural Equation Modelling to re-examine the association between gender and social trust: the search for measurement equivalence. In: NCRM Research Methods Festival 2008, 30th June - 3rd July 2008, St Catherine's College, Oxford.Download from http://eprints.ncrm.ac.uk/303/
Mehta, P. & Neale, M. (2005) People are variables too: Multilevel structural equations modeling. Psychological Methods, 10, 259-284. Download from http://statmodel.com/download/mehtaneale.PDF
Preacher, K., Zyphur, M. & Zhang, Z. (2010). A general multilevel SEM framework for assessing multilevel mediation. Psychological Methods, 15, 209-233. Download from http://statmodel.com/download/pzz_012610_for_web.pdf
Past videos by Melanie Nind
Find Melanie Nind elsewhere on NCRM
- The NCRM quick start guide to: Three approaches used in research methods teaching (Monograph)
- MethodsNews Newsletter 2017: 1 ()
- The Pedagogical Content Knowledge of Social Science Research Methods Teachers and Why it Matters (Conference)
- Pedagogic Language and Pedagogic Competence: Does it Make Sense to Talk about Research Methods Pedagogy in the Social Sciences (Conference)
- MethodsNews Newsletter 2017: 2 ()
- Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences: Expert Perspectives on Pedagogy and Practice ()
- Enhancing the potential of Focus Groups (Training)
- Video stimulated recall, reflection and dialogue (Training)
- From theory to practice? The ethics of inclusive research (Webinar)
- What is innovative in research methods? (Event)
- Doing Research Inclusively, Doing Research Well (Event)
Search results based on Melanie Nind's research interests
- Quality in Qualitative Research (240)
- Participatory Research (178)
- Case Study (156)
- Observation (89)
More like this video tutorials
- Secondary Analysis (151)
- Longitudinal Research (144)
- Survey Research (124)
- Quantitative Software (122)
- Mixed Methods (120)
- Frameworks for Research and Research Designs (other) (115)
- Structural equation models (61)
- Analysis of administrative data (56)
- Data linkage (41)
- Analysis of official statistics (37)
- Hypothesis testing research (31)
- SPSS (31)
Related NCRM training and events materials
- Inequality in Education Innovation in Methods Introduction with reflections by Dr Nicola Ingram and Professor Melanie Nind (Publications)
- Ethnography in Dialogue (Training & Events)
- Introduction to Structural Equation Modelling using Mplus (Training & Events)
- Applied Research Methods with Hidden, Marginal and Excluded Populations (Training & Events)
- Ethnography in Dialogue: Ethics, practice and theory (Training & Events)
- Using participatory theatre and walking methods in social research (Training & Events)
Related Audio/Video/Poedcasts/ etc.
About this form
This form is designed to help the author and the NCRM team provide the best possible supporting information around the video files. Please, complete these sections to fill in the content of the tabs on the tutorial page