- Published on: 2018-01-10
- Event hosted by: NCRM
- Keywords: community studies | ethnography | mixed methods | re-studies. |
- To cite this resource:
Crow, G. (2019) The rationale and research design of community studies. National Centre for Research Methods online learning resource. Available at http://www.ncrm.ac.uk/resources/online/community_studies/ [ accessed: February 23, 2019]'
Video licence: CC-BY Creative Commons Attribution licence (reuse allowed) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode
Here are the slides in Microsoft Powerpoint format. You may want to explore the slides or download the entire presentation by clicking the link below
These video resources were recorded on 2018-01-10 by the National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) at the University of Southampton.
Powerpoint presentations (PDF)
- Slide [1/3]:Community Studies.pdf
- Slide [2/3]:community studies methods.pdf
- Slide [3/3]:cumulative knowledge.pdf
Video Transcripts (PDF)
- Transcript [1/3]:Community_studies_1.pdf
- Transcript [2/3]:Community_studies_methods_2.pdf
- Transcript [3/3]:cumulative_body_of_knowledge.pdf
Related datasets, collections and other links
- Research Report: Conceptualisations and meanings of "community"Research Report: Conceptualisations and meanings of "community"
- Charles N., Davies, C. and Harris, C. (2008) Families in Transition. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Crow, G. (2018) What are Community Studies? London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Dench, G., Gavron, K. and Young, M. (2006) The New East End. London: Profile.
- Elias, N. and Scotson, J. (1965) The Established and the Outsiders. London: Frank Cass.
- Kozinets, R. (2009) Netnography. London: Sage.
- Lassiter, L. E., Goodall, H., Campbell, E. and Johnson, M. (2004) The Other Side of Middletown. Lanham: AltaMira Press.
- Lynd, R. and Lynd, H. (1929) Middletown. New York: Harcourt Brace.
- Lynd, R. and Lynd, H. (1937) Middletown in Transition. New York: Harcourt Brace.
- O'Reilly, K. (2000) The British on the Costa del Sol. London: Routledge.
- Pahl, R. E. (1984) Divisions of Labour. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Rees, A. (1950) Life in a Welsh Countryside. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Scheper-Hughes, N. (2001) Saints, Scholars and Schizophrenics. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Sztompka, P. (1986) Robert Merton. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Young, M. and Willmott, P. (1957) Family and Kinship in East London. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
Related research areas (available items)
Licence: CC-BY Creative Commons Attribution licence(non-commercial) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode
Past videos by Graham Crow
Find Graham Crow elsewhere on NCRM
- Building a cumulative body of knowledge - community studies (part 3 of 3 (Video)
- The rationale and research design of community studies (part 1 of 3 (Video)
- What is methodological pluralism (Conference)
- Methods used in community studies (part 2 of 3 (Audio)
- We need to talk about statistical anxiety. A review of the evidence around statistical anxiety in the context of quantitative methods pedagogy (Monograph)
- Consultation on Training Needs in Advanced Social Science Research Methods (Monograph)
- Qualitative research for quantitative researchers (Event)
- Qualitative research for Quantitative Researchers (Event)
- Interdisciplinary perspectives on continuity and change:what counts as QLR? (Event)
- Anonymity and Confidentiality (Working paper)
- Managing anonymity and confidentiality in social research (Working paper)
- Innovation in qualitative research methods: a narrative review (Working paper)
- The Management of Confidentiality and Anonymity in Social Research (Article)
- We need to talk about statistical anxiety. A review of the evidence around statistical anxiety (Working paper)
Search results based on Graham Crow's research interests
More like this video tutorials
- Frameworks for Research and Research Designs (other) (465)
- Secondary Analysis (443)
- Longitudinal Research (383)
- Survey Research (366)
- Mixed Methods (364)
- Quantitative Approaches (other) (287)
- Hypothesis testing research (114)
- Analysis of administrative data (100)
- Analysis of official statistics (76)
- Structural equation models (76)
- Data linkage (68)
- Data archiving (66)
Related NCRM training and events materials
- The ethics of social research with children and families in Young Lives, a longitudinal study in Ethiopia, Andhra Pradesh (India), Peru and Vietnam (Publications)
- Negotiating Ethical Challenges in Social Research (Training & Events)
- Practical considerations in doing research inclusively and doing it well: Lessons for inclusive researchers (Publications)
- Notes on Problems with Bioethics and Contributions from Social Science (Publications)
- What do children and young people think about taking part in surveys (Publications)
- The Ethics of Research with Vulnerable Populations (Training & Events)
Related Audio/Video/Poedcasts/ etc.
About this form
This form is designed to help the author and the NCRM team provide the best possible supporting information around the video files. Please, complete these sections to fill in the content of the tabs on the tutorial page