- Quantitative methods
- Population ageing, its measurement and correlates
- Gender and the labour market
- 2013 'Population ageing: the timebomb that isn't' in British Medical Journal Vol 347 16 Nov pp. 20-2, f6598. With Jeroen Spijker.
- 2013 'Population ageing in Scotland: Time for a Re-think?' in Scottish Affairs, 85, pp. 53-74.
- 2011 'Discussion: Towards More Accessible Conceptions of Statistical Inference' in Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 174, 2: 269-271.
- 2011 'Who are the British?' in Skold, P and Axelson, P. (eds) Indigenous Peoples and Demography, Berghahn Books, pp. 273-294.
- 2009 'Spain: Continuity and change in precarious employment' in Leah Vosko, Ian Campbell and Martha Macdonald (eds) Gender and the Contours of Precarious Employment, Taylor and Francis, pp. 159-176.
- 2009 'Population' in Bryan S. Turner (ed) Handbook on Globalisation. Palgrave. With J. Peréz Díaz.
- 2009 'The United Kingdom: From flexible employment to vulnerable workers' in Leah Vosko, Ian Campbell and Martha Macdonald (eds) Gender and the Contours of Precarious Employment, Taylor and Francis, pp. 109-126. With T Nazio and J O'Reilly
- 2009 'The Reproductive Revolution' Sociological Review 57(2) 262-284. With J. Pérez Díaz.
- 2009 'Demography' in Bryan S. Turner (ed) The New Blackwell Companion to Social Theory, pp. 428-450. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. With J. Peréz Díaz.